Your freedom is our business
Criminal Defence Solicitors in Bournemouth and Dorset
At Renshaw Derrick, we specialise in providing criminal defence services to protect your legal rights and achieve justice. We are the leading firm of criminal defence solicitors in Dorset with no case too challenging or complex for our team of experts.
Whether you have just been arrested, are facing a police investigation, or you have been charged with an offence, we will stay by your side every step of the way. Our vast range of expertise covers everything from assault and murder, to road traffic offences, to fraud and white collar crime.
We are members of the Law Society Criminal Litigation Accreditation scheme for our extensive experience and strong success rate. We believe that everyone deserves access to an expert criminal defence solicitor, no matter their individual circumstances. We are therefore proud to offer flexible fee packages and some legal aid to our clients. So, don’t hesitate to get in touch – your freedom is our business.
What our criminal defence solicitors in Bournemouth can do for you
Our top priority is to protect your legal rights and give you the best possible chance of achieving a positive outcome, no matter what you are accused of.
We understand how frightening facing a criminal investigation or prosecution can be. Many of our clients have never had trouble with the law before; but we’ll be by your side at every stage of the criminal justice process to provide support and professional guidance.
Our highly specialist team includes trained police station representatives and duty solicitors and we have a strong track record of successfully making representations to the police or Crown Prosecution Service against criminal charges being brought against our clients.
Our extensive legal defence expertise includes:
- Murder & manslaughter
- Rape and other sexual offences
- Road traffic offences, including representation for insurance companies funding road traffic defendants
- Domestic violence
- Regulatory offences, including breaches of planning conditions, breaches of HMO licences, and breaches of Tree Protection Orders and health and safety prosecutions
- Breach of court orders
Murder and manslaughter
Murder and manslaughter are some of the most serious offences in criminal law and if convicted, you could face life imprisonment and considerable difficulties if and when you do re-enter society.
We will examine the evidence against you in meticulous detail and provide a robust defence strategy. Our expertise includes:
- The partial defences to murder – loss of control and diminished responsibility
- Complete defences to murder, including self-defence, necessity, automatism, and duress
- Manslaughter, including gross negligence manslaughter, death by dangerous driving, and manslaughter by an unlawful and dangerous act
Rape and other sexual offences
Being accused of a sexual offence can cause significant damage to your personal life as well as putting your liberty at risk. We will take all possible steps to try and preserve your reputation so you can get on with your life as soon as possible. We advise in relation to all types of sexual offence, including:
- Sexual assault
- Assault by penetration
- Causing sexual activity without consent
- Child sexual abuse
- Pornography offences
- Abuse of position of trust
Assault can range from the least serious offence of causing someone to fear violence to intentionally causing really serious bodily harm. Our expertise covers all assault offences, including:
- Common assault
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH)
- Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH)
Road traffic offences
We provide advice to individuals facing driving offences and insurance companies representing road traffic defendants. Our expertise includes:
- Driving without a licence, insurance, or valid MOT
- Dangerous driving
- Careless or inconsiderate driving
- Causing death by driving
- Causing serious injury by driving dangerously
- Driving under the influence of drink or drugs
- Failure to provide a specimen
- Driving while using a mobile phone
Being accused of a domestic abuse offence can have serious consequences. You could receive a prison sentence, your movements and activities are likely to be monitored and restricted, and you could lose access to your children.
We have in-depth understanding of the challenges you are facing and with our assistance you can trust your legal rights will be protected. Our expertise includes:
- Coercive control
- Physical violence including assault, ABH and GBH
- Sexual abuse
- Harassment and stalking
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
- Forced marriage
- Honour based violence
If you’ve been accused of harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, we’ll provide robust, non-judgmental advice to try and resolve the matter with as little damage to your personal life as possible.
Our expertise covers a wide range of theft and “dishonesty” offences, including:
- Theft from person, shop, or business
- Theft by finding
- Theft from or of a motor vehicle
- Possession of criminal property
- Money laundering
We assist in investigations conducted by the police and a range of prosecuting authorities including the Crown Prosecution Service and the Serious Fraud Office. Our expertise covers:
- Insurance fraud
- Fraudulent expenses claims
- Mortgage fraud
- Tax fraud
- Banking fraud
- Bribery and corruption
- Investment fraud
- Trading Standards
- Money laundering and proceeds of crime
Breach of court orders and licence conditions
Breaching a court order results in significant penalties, including a prosecution for contempt of court. Our expertise includes:
- Breach of bail conditions
- Breach of planning conditions
Breach of HMO licences
- Breach of Tree Protection Orders
Why choose Renshaw Derrick’s criminal defence solicitors?
Renshaw Derrick is a dedicated firm of criminal defence solicitors with extensive expertise across all types of case, from the least serious offences such as speeding to the most serious offences of murder, rape, and complex fraud.
We are recognised by the Law Society for our expertise with the Criminal Litigation Accreditation.
Every one of our lawyers is a specialist in their area and notable members of our team include Ronnie Broit who specialises in police station representation (with particular expertise representing suspects with special needs, such as autism), and Dwayne Lewis, who is recognised as a leading figure in the criminal law sector. Please feel free to visit Our People page for more information about every member of our distinguished and dedicated team.